I’m teaching the Proust “Madeline” moment as a way into the essay. Anybody have good lyric celebrations of a specific food in Brevity-like very short essays they’d like to recommend?
Thanks to Sonya Huber for this list! Add your suggestions of brief, lyric essays on food in the comments!
- Gates, Jr., Henry Louis. “Sunday.” In Short: A Collection of Brief Creative Nonfiction.
- Gruchow, Paul. “The Transfiguration of Bread,” Grass Roots: The Universe of Home.
- Gruchow, Paul. “Putting Tomatoes By,” Grass Roots: The Universe of Home.
- Hampl, Patricia. “Come Eat.” In Brief: Short Takes on the Personal.
- Kumin, Maxine, “Enough Jam for a Lifetime.” In Short: A Collection of Brief Creative Nonfiction.
- Milne, A.A. “A Word for Autumn.”
- Orwell, George. “A Nice Cup of Tea.”
- Roberts, Matt. “Recipe: Marshmallow Rice Krispy Treats.” Sweet: A Literary Confection.
- Simic, Charles. “Dinner at Uncle Boris’s.” In Fact: The Best of Creative Nonfiction.
- Walker, Nicole, “Fish,” Brevity. (See also Heidi Czerwiec, on Walker’s “Fish”)