I visited several creative writing courses last week, and Jo Ann Beard’s “The Fourth State of Matter” was mentioned several times.
- Find the original essay, published in The New Yorker, here.
Here are some resources for teaching and reading this essay:
- Find Lynn Kilpatrick’s piece for Assay’s “In the Classroom” series, here.
- Sarah M. Wells’ article, “The Memoir Inside the Essay Collection: Jo Ann Beard’s Boys of My Youth” (on the entire book), here.
- Find Ned Stuckey-French’s commentary on the author, the essay’s form and context, including additional reading resources, here.
- Find Jill Christman’s reflections in Essay Daily, including classroom exercises, here
If you have other resources, please let me know and I’ll add them to this page.